Monday, November 11, 2013

Giving Thanks Part 1

I woke up this morning to snow. Snow trickling down and just lightly dusting the ground and tree tops. Ugh! I am so not ready for winter. The two younger kids need new snow duds. The van needs better tires. And I just need to not be out in it.

Well...that sounded good....

I really do love this time of year though. I love the fresh crispness of the air and settling in with hot coffee (or taking it on the go as I many times have to do).  The Gaslight District in Petoskey is decking the halls as they do and to say it's beautiful is beyond description. Leaves crunch beneath my feet. Trees and plants have surrendered themselves for another year. Some days it all seems cold and lonely. Other days it's like the world is resting.

November is the month of hoodies, hot chocolate,  pumpkin pies and apple cider. It is the month of turkey dinners, overly crowded houses, and getting up at dark thirty the next day and literally battling total strangers for that "can't-miss-gotta-have" sale. It's also the month of giving thanks. It's supposed to be anyway. I just wonder why one day out of the year is set apart to be thankful? Shouldn't thankfulness be something that we do daily?

Each year at this time I challenge myself to find at least one thing each day for which I am thankful. Some days are easier than others. Some days it's easy breezy to say thanks. Other days are a struggle and I have to think long and hard for something to be thankful for. Life is hard. Times are tough. It just seems like there is no rest to be had and no end in sight. What is there to be thankful for today?

And so I am challenging myself again to take a moment each day to say thanks. What will I find at the end of that challenge? 

That's.....another posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment