Friday, November 27, 2015

An Attitude Of Gratitude

So here we are at the end of another holiday and standing tippy toe on the crest of yet another. Yes, Thanksgiving here at the Clubhouse has come and gone with only bowls of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce and yams playing peek-a-boo in the fridge to remind us of its presence. Which of course leads us to today--"Black Friday"--the day in which countless people across the country pitch tents, pack survival kits, and develop strategic battle plans which may or may not lead to the trampling and bruising of fellow human beings just shortly after giving thanks for the blessings that are theirs. 

Now, don't get me wrong, I was at the store today myself. Not necessarily taking part in the Black Friday rush but I did score a deal or two here and there and there is nothing wrong with that. I just don't do the pitch a tent, stand in line, draw up a plan thing for the very reasons you'll never see me out hunting or fishing--it's too flipping early, it's too flipping cold, and I'm just not going!

With this being said, it got me to thinking. There has been a challenge making its way around social media this past month called the 30 Day Gratitude Challenge. The idea being to post something every day you're thankful for in either pictures or in writing. It is a way of getting us to focus on our blessings and what we have been given rather than on what we don't have or wish we had. It's kinda disheartening we have to have challenges issued in order to count our blessings (I am as guilty as anyone) but that's a whole other posting.

This past Wednesday Matthew brought home a couple little goodies he had made at school. The first was a turkey he had made with construction paper, crepe paper, and a kitchen tile he had colored purple. The second was a worksheet with pictures of different families he had cut from magazines and glued to the top. At the bottom were the words "I'm thankful for...." and on the pre-printed lines were the words "my family." 

Rewind about 13 years when his dad and I are being told by a speech and language therapist what Matthew will never do. How he will never speak and if he should acquire speech it won't be anymore than a word or two here and there. How basic daily living skills, should they be acquired, will be nothing short of a miracle. 

Fast forward to the present where this same boy (excuse me, young man) is one of the main doers of dishes and changers outer of the laundry, where he wipes the table down before and after meals. Where coffee is made and his dad's Tums (three to be exact) are given to him each time he eats. Where school clothes are laid out the night before and, along with his older brother, the dogs are walked two and three and four or more times a day and, while he is not quite up to two way conversations yet, his vocabulary grows a word or more at a time. Where he is reading basic signs ("STOP" "EXIT" or as he says it "E-X-I-T..EXIT...get out!") and writes out grocery lists. This same young man showing gratitude for his family. Truth be told, I am grateful for him. Maybe more so. 

I am grateful for his joy, his peace, his overwhelming happiness in the world that for all intents and purposes makes no sense. I am grateful for his innocence, his purity, his smile and his laughter. Even when he is visibly bothered--too much noise, too many lights, the night is setting in and he is anxious to either go home (if we're out) or for one of us to get home (if Dad or I are out)--there is still something...I am not even sure what to call it..all I know is it's there and I am almost envious!

So this year as I count my blessings, I think back to being told what he would and wouldn't accomplish and as I do I am holding that piece of paper with his handwriting telling the world he is thankful for his family. And I smile! 



I can't help but wonder what that therapist would think if he were to cross paths with Matthew again!


No comments:

Post a Comment