Friday, September 27, 2013

Me? Perfect?

I got a private message on Facebook this past week from a college friend. She had seen a post I shared that dealt with why my page is basically plastered with links, pics, and all things autism. Through this post she learned that...guess what? I have Asperger's!! 

Her message kinda threw me for a loop. For one, she asked how I was diagnosed, if I didn't mind sharing. She'd read the accompanying article that was attached to my post, listing the traits of Asperger's  and commented that most of the people we hung with in college could or would find themselves identifying with most of the statements near the end but that she "refused to believe we all have Asperger's." 

This, believe it or not, was not what threw me.

She started off her message by saying," I saw your post saying that you have Asperger's. I never would have guessed that. You always seemed perfect to me."


Did she really just say that?

"I never would have guessed that."

"You always seemed perfect to me."


Sooooooo.........what exactly is this supposed to mean?

Am I, a 44-year-old woman with Asperger's, somehow broken and defective? Am I somehow less of an individual because of this "title" that I bear? Am I supposed to have a certain look to me? Am I supposed to carry myself in a certain way? Am I supposed to behave in a pseudo;"Rain-Manesque" manner?

Am I no longer a person because I am autistic?















No comments:

Post a Comment